Happy 448th birthday, Shakespeare!

by Christi Rutledge

Monday, April 23, marks the date of Shakespeare’s birth! Interestingly, it also marks the date of his passing, 396 years ago (poetic to the very end). What better way to celebrate the Bard’s life than planning a trip to see some of his masterful work on stage!

We’re offering you a special 24-hour birthday promotion. You can attend all preview performances of Much Ado About Nothing, Cymbeline and Henry Vplaying April through June – for just $29!* This awesome birthday deal is only available online on April 23 from 12:01 a.m. until 11:59 p.m. Be sure to use promotion code 43284!

Here are our preview performance dates:

Much Ado About Nothing:
April 26, 2012, 2:00 p.m.
May 1, 2012, 2:00 p.m.

May 29, 2012, 2:00 p.m.

Henry V:
June 24, 2012, 2:00 p.m.
June 26, 2012, 2:00 p.m.
June 28, 2012, 8:00 p.m.
June 30, 2012, 8:00 p.m.

How do you like to celebrate your birthday?  Share your favourite tradition with us in the comment box below and you and a friend could win a pair of tickets to any of performances listed in this post!  We’ll announce the winner on April 23, 2012 by 9:30 a.m. on our blog – be sure to check back!

*Promotion is only available from April 23, 2012 at 12:01 a.m. until April 23, 2012 at 11:59 p.m. and may expire without notice. Offer not available in conjunction with any other promotions including MMP performances. Only available online in A, B and C seating zones.

Advertisements

21 thoughts on “Happy 448th birthday, Shakespeare!

1. Can you please tell me what time the exhibit opens marking the 60 year anniversary and where I can find details?

2. Ever since I was 17, my June birthday tradition has been this; dinner at a fine dining establishment, and then take in a show. Often at Stratford, sometimes Toronto or NOTL. For my BFF’s birthday , we do the same in January, usually a show at the Grand. I would share my tickets with her if I were to win!

3. I don’t tend to celebrate my birthday much, but my general tradition is to have a birthday cake with my closest family (8 people, 2 of which are under the age of 3 at the moment). I’d love to win some tickets to Henry V, but even if I don’t win them $29 is a great deal. Stratford is certainly my favorite theatre, and I’d love to see anything with Ben Carlson, Bethany Jilliard, Gareth Potter and Victor Ertmanis, especially one directed by Des McAnuff! 🙂

4. Every year on my birthday, my mom plays Paul McCartney’s live version of the birthday song. This year I was at school and couldn’t be there on her birthday, so I played it when I called her that morning 🙂

5. The first rule is to always take your birthday off. The second involves baking christmas cookies (my birthday being mid-December). The rest is to do nothing else requiring real effort all day long 🙂

6. My birthday is the Ides of March, so something Shakespearean would be appropriate.
    My wife always makes my favourite foods (such as super yummy crab dip) and goes out of her way to make it a special day.
    I would definitely take her with me. We honeymooned in Stratford, so it’s a special place for both of us.

7. My past birthday I turned 50 and I went to see Jesus Christ Superstar with my friends. I think it was one of the last performances of the season. After the show we went to Raja for dinner and when I got home their was a surprise birthday party for me. Perhaps a show at Stratford Festival on my birthday will become my new tradition.

8. Funny enough, it’s my birthday today, so this question seems highly appropriate. My brother, sister and I are triplets, so it’s tradition to celebrate together. We have a barbeque and a bonfire (plus as much cake as you can eat) and we always wrap up the festivities by watching Jurassic Park! I’d love to add seeing a show to our lovely little tradition.

p.s. Happy birthday Nicole and Christopher!!

9. With a very large family, we combine all the birthdays by month. I love it because I dont feel nearly as old when I get to celebrate with my neice and nephew. I get to be a kid all over again, though I’ve always been a kid at heart no matter when the calendar says 🙂

10. As a rule in our house, no one does housework on their birthday. I’m glad to say that I did not have to do any this year. I ask the children not to fight, as a present to me. The family also cooks for me, even if hotdog – they don’t let me do any cooking. Since the advent of facebook, I give an ‘award’ to the friend who makes me cry with their birthday wishes. There’s always one person who makes me feel extra special, loved, and appreciated. I think everyone needs to find that message everyday of their lives. That way, everyday would be like a birthday because you feel important – it’s a renewal of yourself.

11. Growing up we didn’t have a lot, so when it came to birthdays my mom always did everything she could to make it extra special. That tradition has been passed down to her daughters, and now us girls go out of our way to create scavenger hunts, elaborate birthday surprises, and usually it incorporates the gift of live performances. I have three beautiful sisters, and they have always been by my side through thick and thin. If they are with me, its an amazing day. 🙂

12. As a single mother, I usually have to arrange my own birthday. So … at fund-raising silent auctions, I always bid on a gift certificate for a restaurant meal. The price is usually pretty close to the actual value, but it supports a good cause. Then I hang on to the certificate until my birthday and my son “takes me out to dinner”. Awww – just saw the time on this. Would have been nice if the contest closed at the same time as people come to the page …