After five months of darkened stages, empty lobbies and frosty evenings, we’ve started our 60th season! Yesterday 42nd Street took the stage for its first preview, and it was amazing! What a celebratory way to kick things off —a perfect show for our diamond jubilee (sparkle included!). We know that the rest of the season will be just as thrilling. Here are some things to watch for while you plan your visit and some activities and shows you won’t want to miss!
- A perfect combination of Shakespeare: A history (Henry V), a comedy (Much Ado About Nothing) and a romance (Cymbeline)!
- 60 seasons of history on display at our Festival Exhibition! Our Archives Department has created a fabulous Exhibition to share some of the remarkable items we’ve saved over the years. From a replica of the backstage of the tent to photos, costumes and props, this display will not disappoint! Come and reminisce with us!
- Christopher Plummer is back on stage at the Avon Theatre performing his one-man show, A Word or Two. We’re excited to welcome Mr. Plummer back to the Festival two years after his celebrated turn as Prospero in The Tempest – and 56 years after his first performance here as Henry V!
- We’re not the only ones celebrating 60 this year! Queen Elizabeth II also marks her 60th year on the throne – keep watching later this season for a promotion fit for a queen!
- Three world premières! An important part of our mission at the Festival is to support new Canadian works and artists. Be sure to take in one or all of our new productions this season: Wanderlust, The Best Brothers and Hirsch!
- Don’t let your visit stop at the theatre doors! Go beyond the stage with some of our amazing events: Bingo: A Dramatic Reading, our Celebrated Writers Series, special tours, Festival Friday Chats, Late Night with Lucy, Lectures on the Plays, Lobby Talks, a masterclass with Patsy Rodenburg, Meet the Festival, Night Music, Prologues, Table Talk, Talking Theatre, Theatre Explorer *gasps for a breath of air* and US Member Weekends!
- It’s your turn… Let us know in the comment box below what you can’t possibly miss this season!