Talk about the rough economy has yet to die down. So people are looking for that bargain. In tough times, we’re forced to cut back on spending in all areas of our lives – and one area where that can be particularly painful is our entertainment budget. After all, we need something to lift our spirits when life’s troubles get us down.
But just because things might be a bit tighter than they were a couple of years ago, that doesn’t mean you have to miss out on the productions at the Stratford Shakespeare Festival. Here are a few ways you can catch these great shows without putting strain on the family budget:
- Many people are worried about the HST hitting the books soon in Ontario. But if you act now, you won’t have to pay the additional tax on any performances this season. Simply by purchasing your tickets before the end of April – even if they’re for performances after July 1, when the new tax comes into effect – you’ll beat the HST. That’s 8% less than what you’ll pay for the same show if you purchase your ticket on or after May 1. So why pay the HST? Buy now, and you won’t have to!
- TiXX are back this season, meaning you can get great seats for only $29 each! (At that price, you could afford to treat a friend or two.) The Festival sets aside 60 TiXX seats in the balcony of the Festival Theatre for every performance, excluding the musical (sorry, no Kiss Me, Kate for this price). A few things to keep in mind if you want to get these great tickets: (a) The seats are in the A and B sections of the balcony at the Festival Theatre – this program isn’t available at the Avon, Tom Patterson or Studio theatres. (b) To get this price, you have to place your order online. Just follow the link here and select the production you want to see. (c) A maximum of four tickets can be purchased in each transaction. (d) The seating is randomly assigned, and you’ll get your seat locations at check-out. But don’t worry: if you buy four tickets you’ll all be seated together. (e) TiXX sales are final: we can’t exchange these tickets. But if you can’t come, that doesn’t mean those seats need to be empty! If you have friends or family who’d like to see the production, you can pass the tickets on to them.
- Do you have children 18 years of age or younger? Bring them to a show and save on the price of their tickets. Every adult who attends can bring up to four children (18 and under) for only $36 per child. The children just need to sit with an adult and provide proof of age when you attend the performance. If that isn’t a good enough bargain, how about this? Bring a child to Peter Pan on their actual birthday, and the birthday boy or girl gets to see the wonders of Never Land, see Peter and the Darling children fly, and help save Tinker Bell for free! Really, what better way to share your love of theatre with the little people in your lives?
- Online savings. You can find great discounts just by checking out our website from time to time. Right there you’ll find savings of up to 50% on selected performances! You don’t need to do anything to get those savings; just select a performance that has the discount, then choose the seats you’d like.
- For those social media savvy people out there: join us on our Facebook page and you could catch our shows at deeply discounted prices. Already we’ve offered tickets to our fans for as low as $10.41! I can’t think of a better way to save. If Facebook isn’t your thing, you can also find us on Twitter and get some discounts. And there’s more on Twitter and Facebook than just savings. You can also find out what’s happening behind the scenes or get involved in a discussion about a theatre-related topic. You can also share your Stratford stories with other Stratford fans.
- Are you between the ages of 16 and 29? We have a program just for you! By joining our Play On program, you get tickets to selected performances for only $25. That’s right, $25 – and for that price you can buy two tickets and bring anyone you want along to the show. The only exclusion here is that the seats exclude A+ seating and these tickets are also final-sale. To find out more about this program just click here.
- If you’re the type who waits until the last minute to make any plans, that’s an option too. An hour before a performance (excluding student/senior performances and shows that have sold out), you can save up to 50% off the regular priced ticket. These rush tickets can be purchased at the venue of the show you wish to see, or call the main box office at 1.800.567.1600.
With so many ways to save, it’s hard to pass up a trip to Stratford. Enjoy the sights and sounds of the city of Stratford before or after taking in one of the fabulous productions in the 2010 season. Just take a look at the playbill:
As You Like It Kiss Me, Kate The Tempest Dangerous Liaisons
Evita Peter Pan
Tom Patterson Theatre
The Winter’s Tale Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well and Living in Paris
For the Pleasure of Seeing Her Again
Do Not Go Gentle The Two Gentlemen of Verona King of Thieves
This playbill has something for everyone. Come out and enjoy a show using one these great options to save on tickets.